Andrews Moses is a serial entrepreneur and angel investor based out of Niagara, Ontario. He is currently the CEO & Co-Founder of TenantCube, which is on a mission to help every landlord find the right tenant and keep them longer by providing an amazing renting experience. To learn more about Tenantcube, visit https://tenantcube.com/.
***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
How did you come up with the idea of Tenantcube?
I rented a house to a drug dealer in Canada and found there were no help for landlords. I wanted to build something for myself but realized that it was a bigger problem so I decided to solve it.
How did the founding team come together?
I actually found my co-founder through a Tamil WhatsApp group. Vijay is a friend of a friend. I posted in a group looking for a co-founder and he reached out. We are great buddies now and he is family.
How long did it take for you to generate revenue? What is the revenue model?
We just launched our product and signed our first contract this week. We charge by the number of units/doors managed.
Are you a bootstrapped company? If so, are you looking to raise money? What would make you raise money?
We are an angel-funded company and we are currently looking to raise our pre-seed round. We wanted to have customers and some revenue before we raised.
How has COVID-19 impacted your businesses? How have you adapted?
The COVID-19 pandemic delayed our product development so Vijay moved backed to Chennai from Toronto to run our dev centre. Since our dev team was based in Chennai, we had to adapt to working with our development team remotely. It was a challenge on the business side but customers are quickly adopting to technology changes as the pandemic has actually accelerated the digitization of the traditional rental process/business.
Where do you see Tenantcube in the next 3-5 years? Where do you see yourself in that same time period?
We want to grow to serve thousands of landlords and property managers. Tenantcube should become a platform trusted by both landlords and tenants while making the renting experience as simple/easy as shopping on Amazon.
I see that you are the Founder/CEO of CloudChoice - how does that fit into the big picture for you?
Cloudchoice is a consulting business I used to actively run and it's now being run by another Tamil friend of mine, Ramesh. The business has a steady flow of revenue which is great, but I'm completely hands off as I'm focused full-time on Tenantcube.
What do you like to do for fun outside of work?
I play squash, cricket in summer along with haning out with my family and friends.
What’s one goal that, if you were to accomplish it over the next three months, would feel like a big win for you?
If we can help landlords avoid the mistakes I made when I first started renting out properties, we will be happy. We are already getting emails from landlords on how we've helped them with the rental process which includes finding great tenants (which is not easy).
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.22): Sathish Muneeswaran - Personal Trainer Changing The Conversation In The Tamil Community Around Strength Training, Fitness & Healthy Eating"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.21): Shayna Mehta – Aspiring Doctor & Award-Winning Div 1 Basketball Player Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.20): Anand Venkateswaran – Crypto Believer Behind $69M NFT Purchase & Co-Manager of Metapurse, World's Largest NFT Fund"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.19): Priya Ragu – Swiss-Tamil Music Artist On A Meteoric Rise To Global Fame"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.18): Thusy Suntharam – Montreal Filmmaker Pursuing Big Screen Dreams While Working A 9-to-5"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.17): Kumutha Ramanathan – Award-Winning Journalist & Budding Entrepreneur"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.16): Thiru Vignarajah – Baltimore Mayoral Candidate, Federal Prosecutor & Harvard Law School Graduate"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.15): Thiviyaa Sehasothy – Marketing Professional By Day, Savvy Art Entrepreneur By Night"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.14): Yanchan – Popular Carnatic Hip Hop Producer Talks About His Drake-Inspired Dreams, Love For Scarborough & Financial Freedom"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.13): Tanya Yoganathan – Momtrepreneur Created An E-Commerce Business That Netflix Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Is A Fan Of"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.12): Dayalan Mahesan – How A UK-Based DJ & Car Enthusiast Became A Full-Time Property Investor By Age 40"
- "These Tamil Entrepreneurs Share How They Grew Their Side Hustles"
What is a failure you’ve experienced in the last 3-5 years that you’ve learned the most from?
I have tried to build a company with remote team and part-time development staff, I found people were not committed to the idea which resulted in me spending a lot of time without seeing much progress.
How have your family and friends supported you through your journey?
My family has always supported me along with my friends. The initial investment in Tenantcube came from friends and family mostly.
In terms of your personal legacy, in a few sentences, describe how you want to be remembered by your family and friends?
Someone who worked hard while finding ways to help the people around me and humble enough to give credit on my successes to everyone who helped. I never want to forget where I came from.
Who is one person from the global Tamil community and one person that isn’t Tamil that you admire and why?
In the Tamil community, I greatly admire Sridhar Vembu from Zoho. The most humble man I have ever met. Outside the Tamil community, I admire everyone who teach me something new. I follow a lot of people and learn from them.
What do you think you would tell 16-year Andrews looking back?
I don't have many regrets as I took risks when I had to. However, I wish I took a business course or program instead of following a commonly followed path in our community which was to become an engineer.
What is your favourite book(s) you've read recently or a podcast(s) that you've listened to recently that's had an impact on you?
"Never Split The Difference" is a great book that I listened to on Audible. I listen to a lot of podcasts related to business as well.
What is a new belief, behaviour or habit that has most improved your life?
Taking time to play a sport helps me reset and de-stress.
If you were given $1 billion, how would you allocate the money to change the world?
I always gave away 10% of what I make. If I had $1 billion, I would spend it on educating children and helping people who want to get an education but can't afford it. I would also invest in other companies to help other entrepreneurs realize their dreams. I might consider getting into politics to try to create systems to eradicate racism and inequality.
How would you describe the impact that the Toronto Tamil community has had on you personally and on your business?
I'm not as super engaged as others I know because I live in Niagara. However, I do visit regularly to meet friends and celebrate festivals/holidays. Our Sri Lankan Tamil friends were the first group of people who invited me into their homes when I was a student and really needed the help. I will forever be indebted to them.
What is your favourite Tamil food (meal or dessert)?
Biryani any day.
What is your favourite Tamil movie?
What does Tamil culture mean to you?
Tamil culture defines me and is my essence. I love working with people from the Tamil community and hope to continue to see many mor successes from our community globally.
To learn more about how Tenantcube is helping Landlords across the board - https://tenantcube.com/landlord.
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
"myTamilDate.com Love Story: Suji & Sinthu Lived 15 Minutes Apart For Years And Never Met Until Joining MTD"
"How France Met Canada: A MyTamilDate.com Love Story"
"How a Message on myTamilDate.com Led to an Engagement for Lavanya & Vitharan"
***CLICK HERE to listen to us on Spotify!***
- "Award-Winning Division 1 Basketball Player And Pre-Med Student Shayna Mehta Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "University Drop-out & Self-Taught Tamil Artist JYDXI Finds Success Through Instagram"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP. 8): Dr. Ranjith Mahen On Being $190K In Debt To Opening Two Multi-Million Chiropractic Clinics With Just $10K"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP. 4): Micro-Business Investor Chen Vasanthakumar Talks About Buying a Business For $0K And Selling It For $60K"
- "How We Raised $40K On Kickstarter To Create The Tamil "Dora The Explorer"
- "Award-Winning Division 1 Basketball Player And Pre-Med STudent Shayna Mehta Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "This Tamil-Canadian Co-Founder Of An Aussie Startup Raised $7.1M Series A To Manage Property Differently"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Abarna Raj, CEO of Australian Social Startup Palmera, Is Tackling World Poverty"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Tea Drops CEO & Founder, Sashee Chandran"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Knowledgehook's CEO, Travis Ratnam"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Kabo CEO & Founder, Vino Jeyapalan"
- "Danny Sriskandarajah's Journey From Rural Sri Lanka to CEO of Oxfam Great Britain"
- "The NBA Bubble: Dr. Priya Sampathkumar Helped Make It Happen"
- "These Tamil Founders Behind Agritech Startup Dunya Habitats Want To Alleviate Food Security Globally"
- "Marketing Maven Jackson Jeyanayagam Shares Insights From His Illustrious 20-Year Career"
- "Angel Investor Jay Vasantharajah On Building His Portfolio One Day At A Time"
- "Meet Tamil-Canadian Journalist Kumutha Ramanathan"
- "Breaking Into Hollywood: Meet Tamil-Canadian Actor Vas Saranga"
- "Meet Rebecca Dharmapalan - Filmmaker, Legal Scholar, And Activist"