Priya Ragu is a Swiss-Tamil artist making uplifting R&B that explores her independence while remaining true to her Tamil heritage. Her overnight success took years to develop and her career has exploded in the last few years with her being featured in Rolling Stone India, BBC Asian Network and Vogue. Priya is also being named as an artist to keep an eye on in 2021. She joins Ara to discuss being compared to M.I.A & being inspired by her, working alongside her brother, turning 30 & realizing there had to be more to life, quitting her full-time job and telling her parents she was going on a 6-month business trip when she was actually moving to New York to pursue her musical aspirations, and more!
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam). As someone who is extremely inquisitive by nature, I created the podcast to chat with, spotlight, and learn about brilliance among creators in the Tamil community - and among creators in general from all over the world.
**TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***For a chance to win a $100 gift card and get future podcast updates, interviews and other news, please sign up for the newsletter - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:54 - Introducing Priya Ragu
03:13 - Giving herself 6 months to make it in the music industry
05:59 - Why she chose to chase her dream in New York
07:43 - Growing up in a musical family
11:41 - Working alongside her brother
13:40 - Wrestling with her music ambitions and parents’ expectations
18:33 - Telling her parents she was on a “business trip” when she quit her job to chase her dream
19:18 - The making of Priya’s hit “Good Love 2.0”
22:40 - How Priya viewed her strict upbringing growing up versus now
24:10 - Reconnecting with her Tamil roots in Toronto
26:45 - Did it matter where she grew up, how much luck is involved in success?
29:29 - Being compared to M.I.A. and wanting to collaborate with her
30:47 - The independent Tamil music scene
32:38 - What Priya does when she’s not making music
34:03 - Insecurities, and overcoming them
36:30 - The time Priya blacked out during her TEDTalk
38:10 - What would Priya tell her 16-year-old self
38:29 - The personal legacy Priya wants to leave behind
39:29 - Being inspired by Snoh Alegra and M.I.A.
41:43 - Advice Priya has for other Tamil creators
43:14 - Creator Confessions
47:27 - The wrap up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.18): Thusy Suntharam – Montreal Filmmaker Pursuing Big Screen Dreams While Working A 9-to-5"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.17): Kumutha Ramanathan – Award-Winning Journalist & Budding Entrepreneur"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.16): Thiru Vignarajah – Baltimore Mayoral Candidate, Federal Prosecutor & Harvard Law School Graduate"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.15): Thiviyaa Sehasothy – Marketing Professional By Day, Savvy Art Entrepreneur By Night"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.14): Yanchan – Popular Carnatic Hip Hop Producer Talks About His Drake-Inspired Dreams, Love For Scarborough & Financial Freedom"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.13): Tanya Yoganathan – Momtrepreneur Created An E-Commerce Business That Netflix Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Is A Fan Of"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.12): Dayalan Mahesan – How A UK-Based DJ & Car Enthusiast Became A Full-Time Property Investor By Age 40"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.11): JYXDI (Jyothee Murali) - Amassing Over 150K Followers And Collecting $10,000 For A Single Piece of Art"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.10): Vijay Sappani - Co-Founder Of A Billion-Dollar Cannabis Company, Philanthropist And Rare Disease Hunter"
- "Episode #2: Learn From The Real Estate Investor Who Acquired 41 Units In A Few Years"
- "Award-Winning Division 1 Basketball Player And Pre-Med STudent Shayna Mehta Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "This Tamil-Canadian Co-Founder Of An Aussie Startup Raised $7.1M Series A To Manage Property Differently"
- "Danny Sriskandarajah's Journey From Rural Sri Lanka to CEO of Oxfam Great Britain"
- "The NBA Bubble: Dr. Priya Sampathkumar Helped Make It Happen"
- "These Tamil Founders Behind Agritech Startup Dunya Habitats Want To Alleviate Food Security Globally"
- "Marketing Maven Jackson Jeyanayagam Shares Insights From His Illustrious 20-Year Career"
- "Angel Investor Jay Vasantharajah On Building His Portfolio One Day At A Time"
- "Meet Tamil-Canadian Journalist Kumutha Ramanathan"
- "Breaking Into Hollywood: Meet Tamil-Canadian Actor Vas Saranga"
- "Meet Rebecca Dharmapalan - Filmmaker, Legal Scholar, And Activist"