Jyothee Murali, better known as JYXDI, is a 25 year old Tamil self-taught artist from Toronto who has found massive success on Instagram over the last half-decade. She joins Ara to discuss what it was like dropping out of university to chase her childhood passion for art, being handpicked by Michael B. Jordan to collaborate with Coach, creating art for Noah “OVO40” Shebib, and how her work has turned family skepticism to family support.
**For a chance to win a $100 gift card and get future podcast updates, interviews and other news, please sign up for the newsletter - CLICK HERE!**
***To support the work we do to tell creator stories around the world, become a VIP fan - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
***Want to leave feedback, guest recommendations or interested in being an advertising partner - CLICK HERE!***
00:15 - Introducing Jyothee Murali aka JYXDI
01:06 - How death note sparked her interest in anime
03:17 - Dropping out of school to pursue her passion and dealing with the pressure of south asian parents
04:33 - Being handpicked by Michael B. Jordan to collaborate with Coach
05:50 - Thoughts on NFTs and decision to release two pieces recently
07:18 - How her work has turned family skepticism to family support
09:01 - Using social media to create exposure, how she came up with the moniker JYXDI, and how anime has helped grow her brand
11:15 - Playing in chess tournaments growing up, and her love for hiking and Bali
12:31 - The types of people she surrounds herself with, being an introvert during COVID
14:05 - Plans to move out of Canada and to build an art school
15:23 - Teaching Tamil seniors how to paint
16:41 - Favourite books/podcasts
17:51 - Practicing discipline and meditation
18:56 - Growing up in Sri Lanka during the genocide, still visiting frequently
20:49 - The impact of the Toronto-Tamil community, being contacted to teach art 1-on-1
22:24 - Oil paintings being her favourite art-type to produce
22:56 - OVO40 (Drake’s Producer) and La Mar C. Taylor (Creative Director for The Weeknd) reaching out for art pieces
24:09 - Wanting to be known for taking a leap of faith and going against the grain
24:34 - From selling paintings at $100 a piece to now sometimes getting $10,000 per piece
26:36 - Being inspired by A.R. Rahman, OVO40
28:21 - Advice she would give to young aspiring artists
29:56 - Speed Round
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.10): Vijay Sappani - Co-Founder Of A Billion-Dollar Cannabis Company, Philanthropist And Rare Disease Hunter"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP.9): Sashee Chandran - A Chrissy Tiegen Tweet Helped Turn A Passion Project Into Tea Drops, A Multi-Million Dollar Company"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP. 8): Dr. Ranjith Mahen On Being $190K In Debt To Opening Two Multi-Million Chiropractic Clinics With Just $10K"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.7): Jananie Baskaran On Raising $60K For Charity Using Photography"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.6): How Seattle-Based Real Estate Entrepreneur Vozhi Got To Rap In A Kollywood Film"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.5): Podcast/Radio Host Kausalya Vimal (Showkace) Is Normalizing Conversations Around Mental Health"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP. 4): Micro-Business Investor Chen Vasanthakumar Talks About Buying a Business For $0K And Selling It For $60K"
- "The Tamil Creator: MBA Grad Dilani Rabindran Talks About The Business Of Media"
- "Episode #2: Learn From The Real Estate Investor Who Acquired 41 Units In A Few Years"
- "Award-Winning Division 1 Basketball Player And Pre-Med STudent Shayna Mehta Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "This Tamil-Canadian Co-Founder Of An Aussie Startup Raised $7.1M Series A To Manage Property Differently"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Abarna Raj, CEO of Australian Social Startup Palmera, Is Tackling World Poverty"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Tea Drops CEO & Founder, Sashee Chandran"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Knowledgehook's CEO, Travis Ratnam"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Kabo CEO & Founder, Vino Jeyapalan"
- "Danny Sriskandarajah's Journey From Rural Sri Lanka to CEO of Oxfam Great Britain"
- "The NBA Bubble: Dr. Priya Sampathkumar Helped Make It Happen"
- "These Tamil Founders Behind Agritech Startup Dunya Habitats Want To Alleviate Food Security Globally"
- "Marketing Maven Jackson Jeyanayagam Shares Insights From His Illustrious 20-Year Career"
- "Angel Investor Jay Vasantharajah On Building His Portfolio One Day At A Time"
- "Meet Tamil-Canadian Journalist Kumutha Ramanathan"
- "Breaking Into Hollywood: Meet Tamil-Canadian Actor Vas Saranga"
- "Meet Rebecca Dharmapalan - Filmmaker, Legal Scholar, And Activist"