Sashee Chandran is the Founder & CEO of California based company, Tea Drops. After initially starting the brand as a passion project and side gig, she has raised $3.5 million and garnered mainstream attention from the likes of Chrissy Teigen and Tory Burch. She joins Ara to discuss growing up on a tea estate and learning to sell from a young age, how one tweet changed her entire life, and the power of both learning to let go and celery juice.
**For a chance to win a $100 gift card and get future podcast updates, interviews and other news, please sign up for the newsletter - CLICK HERE!**
***To support the work we do to tell creator stories around the world, become a VIP fan - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
***Want to leave feedback, guest recommendations or interested in being an advertising partner - CLICK HERE!***
00:15 - Introducing Sashee Chandran
01:23 - Growing up on a tea estate with entrepreneurial parents
04:35 - Learning to sell from a young age
05:24 - Starting Tea Drops while working a full-time job at eBay in Silicon Valley
06:46 - How Sashee knew it was time to quit her job and go all-in on Tea Drops
10:57 - The process of patenting Tea Drops
13:39 - The impact of being tweeted about by Chrissy Teigen
15:58 - Transitioning from bootstrapping to raising funds
18:31 - Maintaining open to feedback while having conviction in what you’re building
22:48 - Raising $3.5 million to date and embarking on a $5 million series A round
24:39 - Receiving support from her family, friends, and mentors
27:18 - Meeting people she would have never expected
28:06 - Following her father’s “Horizon Theory”
30:05 - Expanding beyond tea to incorporate and emphasize self-care
34:59 - Wanting to separate work from her personal life, and investing in other founders
41:20 - What Sashee would be doing if Tea Drops wasn’t a thing
46:24 - Why Sashee moved into a 250-sqft home and got rid of 75% of her belongings
49:47 - Sashee’s view on social media
51:40 - Sashee’s interests outside of work (spending time with family and travelling)
54:04 - How the book “Untethered Soul” by Michael Singer helped Sashee learn to let go
56:12 - The power of celery juice
57:20 - Wanting to make other people feel like they are the priority
58:40 - The influence of Tamil culture on Sashee
01:00:17 - Admiration for Maitreyi Ramakrishnan
01:01:37 - Sashee’s advice to other Tamil creators
01:02:38 - Would You Rather
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator (Ep.7): Jananie Baskaran On Raising $60K For Charity Using Photography
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.6): How Seattle-Based Real Estate Entrepreneur Vozhi Got To Rap In A Kollywood Film"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.5): Podcast/Radio Host Kausalya Vimal (Showkace) Is Normalizing Conversations Around Mental Health"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP. 4): Micro-Business Investor Chen Vasanthakumar Talks About Buying a Business For $0K And Selling It For $60K"
- "The Tamil Creator: MBA Grad Dilani Rabindran Talks About The Business Of Media"
- "Episode #2: Learn From The Real Estate Investor Who Acquired 41 Units In A Few Years"
- "Award-Winning Division 1 Basketball Player And Pre-Med STudent Shayna Mehta Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "This Tamil-Canadian Co-Founder Of An Aussie Startup Raised $7.1M Series A To Manage Property Differently"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Abarna Raj, CEO of Australian Social Startup Palmera, Is Tackling World Poverty"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Tea Drops CEO & Founder, Sashee Chandran"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Knowledgehook's CEO, Travis Ratnam"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Kabo CEO & Founder, Vino Jeyapalan"
- "Danny Sriskandarajah's Journey From Rural Sri Lanka to CEO of Oxfam Great Britain"
- "The NBA Bubble: Dr. Priya Sampathkumar Helped Make It Happen"
- "These Tamil Founders Behind Agritech Startup Dunya Habitats Want To Alleviate Food Security Globally"
- "Marketing Maven Jackson Jeyanayagam Shares Insights From His Illustrious 20-Year Career"
- "Angel Investor Jay Vasantharajah On Building His Portfolio One Day At A Time"
- "Meet Tamil-Canadian Journalist Kumutha Ramanathan"
- "Breaking Into Hollywood: Meet Tamil-Canadian Actor Vas Saranga"
- "Meet Rebecca Dharmapalan - Filmmaker, Legal Scholar, And Activist"