Amarnath Amarasingam is an Assistant Professor at Queen’s University. He is also a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, an Associate Fellow at the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation, and an Associate Fellow at the Global Network on Extremism and Technology. His research interests are in radicalization, terrorism, diaspora politics, post-war reconstruction, and the sociology of religion. He is the author of "Pain, Pride, and Politics: Sri Lankan Tamil Activism in Canada" (2015), and the co-editor of "Sri Lanka: The Struggle for Peace in the Aftermath of War" (2016). He has also written several peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, has presented papers at over 100 national and international conferences, and has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, Politico, The Atlantic, and Foreign Affairs.
He joins Ara on this week’s episode of The Tamil Creator to discuss who his top 5 rappers of all time are, receiving death threats as a result of his journalistic profession, the increasing divide between people & their governments and why you should stay out of the comment section on all social platforms.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam). As someone who is extremely inquisitive by nature, I created the podcast to chat with, spotlight, and learn about brilliance among creators in the Tamil community - and among creators in general from all over the world.
**TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***For a chance to win a $100 gift card and get future podcast updates, interviews and other news, please sign up for the newsletter - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Ara introduces this week’s guest, Amarnath Amarasingam
02:01 - Being born during the Sri Lankan war and immigrating to Toronto shortly after
03:07 - Amarnath’s love for hip-hop; breakdancing, battle rap
08:38 - What’s more appealing: a short but legendary run, or long but relatively average one
10:40 - The violence that Scarborough fostered while Amarnath was growing up
15:15 - Getting verified on Twitter, and receiving death threats
19:07 - The lost art of people being able to disagree with one another
23:30 - How COVID contributed to political polarization
27:06 - The increasing divide between the people and the government
30:32 - How does Amarnath describe what he does to people
36:23 - Monetization in the academia world
38:21 - What is the impact of Twitter on journalistic credibility?
45:15 - Amarnath’s favourite books and podcasts
47:00 - How does one go about securing a book deal? (advances, agents, and more)
50:54 - Personal legacy: how does Amarnath want to be remembered?
52:43 - Amarnath’s biggest insecurity: being insignificant
53:38 - Inspirations from the Global Tamil community and non-Tamil community
56:49 - Advice Amarnath would give to fellow aspiring Tamil creators
1:00:40 - Creator Confessions
1:03:02 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.31): Luksimi Sivaneswaralingam – Award-Winning Kollywood Singer & Elementary School Teacher"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.30): Suresh Doss – Leaving A Successful IT Career To Becoming A Well-Known Food Writer"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.29): Indira Samarasekera - Former University President & Current Board Member (Of Several Large Market Cap Companies), Co-Authors Book To Help Create More Female"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.28): Ari Sooriya - Creative Extraordinaire: From TamilCulture.com to Teacher (And Everything In Between)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.27): Bindi Bosses (Shyamla Eswaran & Ragavi Ragavan) - Australian-Based Dance Group Creating Social Movvement And Discussions Through Performance & Storytelling"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.26): Rick Selvarajah – UK-Based Professional MMA Fighter Turned Entrepreneur"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.25): Jenushika Jeyakumaran – Legal Innovator & Recent Grad Who Co-Founded Tech Company Aleri To Make Trial Preparation Easier For Lawyers"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.24): Nelson Sivalingam - UK-Based Serial Entrepreneur (Tech & Food), Podcast Host & Award-Winning Filmmaker"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.23): Maya Bastian - Investigative Video Journalist To Award-Winning Film Director (Including 2021 Cannes Festival Entrant)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.22): Sathish Muneeswaran - Personal Trainer Changing The Conversation In The Tamil Community Around Strength Training, Fitness & Healthy Eating"
- "Sibi Selvanathan Published an Amazon Top 5 Epic Fantasy Book in 18 Months During the Pandemic, Fulfilling a Childhood Bucket List Item"
- "Sajanthan Velu Co-Founds Streaming Platform Playmi.ca To Help Up-And-Coming Independent Tamil Content Creators Break Through"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"