Suresh Doss is a household name and an OG in terms of the food scene in Toronto. He's about to launch a food section for a national newspaper, has a segment called “CBC Food Guide” in CBC Radio’s Metro Morning and he has helped pioneer the street food movement in Ontario for close to 20 years. He joins Ara on this week’s episode to discuss why he left the financial security of his IT job to pursue his passion, how the opportunity for the "CBC Food Guide" came about, how you can develop your voice and why picking a niche is underrated, the best food spots in the city, and many other appetizing (pun intended) topics.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam). As someone who is extremely inquisitive by nature, I created the podcast to chat with, spotlight, and learn about brilliance among creators in the Tamil community - and among creators in general from all over the world.
**TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***For a chance to win a $100 gift card and get future podcast updates, interviews and other news, please sign up for the newsletter - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Ara introduces this week’s guest, Suresh Doss
03:21 - How Suresh’s upbringing lead to his passion for food; experience in Nigeria and Toronto
06:57 - Suresh’s view on food growing up versus now; not wanting to return to Sri Lanka, entering a cooking competition, the concept of takeout food
14:53 - Suresh’s favourite Tamil spots in the Toronto; Scarborough’s incredible food scene, mutton curry pizza, and more
26:47 - Working in IT before Suresh made the switch to his current career
38:04 - How Suresh’s family and friends reacted to his decision to dive head first into content creation
40:47 - CBC Food Guide, dealing with rejection and struggling to find opportunities, leveraging the power of Twitter
46:03 - How Suresh gets compensated for his work
47:52 - The leverage Suresh holds during his negotiations now versus when he first started
49:13 - The power of the internet for content creators; developing your voice, suresh’s future plans for the stories he wants to tell
54:57 - Suresh is working on his memoir, focusing on the trauma he dealt with growing up and the journey he’s been on since
56:52 - How COVID impacted the industry and what the future holds
1:06:59 - Personal legacy; how Suresh wants to be remembered by his friends / family
1:08:19 - Advice he would give his 16-year-old self
1:10:05 - Advice Suresh has for fellow creators
1:11:24 - Creator Confessions
1:26:58 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.29): Indira Samarasekera - Former University President & Current Board Member (Of Several Large Market Cap Companies), Co-Authors Book To Help Create More Female"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.28): Ari Sooriya - Creative Extraordinaire: From TamilCulture.com to Teacher (And Everything In Between)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.27): Bindi Bosses (Shyamla Eswaran & Ragavi Ragavan) - Australian-Based Dance Group Creating Social Movvement And Discussions Through Performance & Storytelling"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.26): Rick Selvarajah – UK-Based Professional MMA Fighter Turned Entrepreneur"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.25): Jenushika Jeyakumaran – Legal Innovator & Recent Grad Who Co-Founded Tech Company Aleri To Make Trial Preparation Easier For Lawyers"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.24): Nelson Sivalingam - UK-Based Serial Entrepreneur (Tech & Food), Podcast Host & Award-Winning Filmmaker"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.23): Maya Bastian - Investigative Video Journalist To Award-Winning Film Director (Including 2021 Cannes Festival Entrant)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.22): Sathish Muneeswaran - Personal Trainer Changing The Conversation In The Tamil Community Around Strength Training, Fitness & Healthy Eating"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.21): Shayna Mehta – Aspiring Doctor & Award-Winning Div 1 Basketball Player Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.20): Anand Venkateswaran – Crypto Believer Behind $69M NFT Purchase & Co-Manager of Metapurse, World's Largest NFT Fund"
- "Sibi Selvanathan Published an Amazon Top 5 Epic Fantasy Book in 18 Months During the Pandemic, Fulfilling a Childhood Bucket List Item"
- "Sajanthan Velu Co-Founds Streaming Platform Playmi.ca To Help Up-And-Coming Independent Tamil Content Creators Break Through"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"