Subo Sinnathamby is currently Ontario Power Generation’s Senior Vice President, responsible for overseeing the Darlington Nuclear Refurbishment, which is one of Canada’s largest clean energy infrastructure projects. This project is a $12.8B investment to extend the life of the reactors and their ability to produce clean, carbon-free power for another 30 years.
***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
INTERESTED IN MEETING OTHER TAMIL CREATORS, PROFESSIONALS & ENTREPRENEURS FROM AROUND THE WORLD? JOIN THE TAMIL CHANGEMAKERS COMMUNITY HERE & ACCESS OUR MEMBERS ONLY LINKEDIN GROUP, EXCLUSIVE EVENTS & MORE!
When you were completing your engineering degree, it was a predominantly male-dominated program (which has changed significantly in the last few years). What made you pursue engineering?
In order to establish ourselves in Canada, education was a path to success. Being financially constrained, I looked for a program that would give me a professional designation shortly after finishing university. Being strong in Math and Science paved the way for entering an Engineering program.
Why environmental engineering?
In the early 90’s the environmental field was booming, the potential for non-traditional Engineering opportunities was the reason I chose this stream.
What do you do in your role as Senior VP of Nuclear Refurbishment?
I am currently Ontario Power Generation’s Senior Vice President responsible for overseeing the Darlington Nuclear Refurbishment, which is one of Canada’s largest clean energy infrastructure projects. This project is a $12.8B investment to extend the life of the reactors and their ability to produce clean, carbon-free power for another 30 years.
You’ve been at OPG for over 20 years which is very much unheard of today where somebody stays at a company for that long. What made you stay?
The people I work with, the opportunities to move within a large organization and the company’s investment in my development has allowed me to have a successful career within OPG. Hence, I have not had the need or desire to pursue opportunities outside OPG.
There’s a lot of evidence that nuclear energy is a great choice for providing a source of clean energy but it gets a negative rep. Why do you think this is?
Concerns generally stem cultural depictions, like The Simpsons and from extremely rare past events. People also have misconceptions about the impact of nuclear by-products to the environment. The more people learn about nuclear, and its ability to reliably generate large amounts of carbon-free power on the smallest land footprint, they will start to accept it more. OPG believes that solving climate change requires an “all-hands-on-deck” approach using all clean energy technologies and nuclear has to be part of the mix. We’re taking steps to better inform the public about nuclear so that we can continue building support.
MYTAMILDATE LOVE STORY: THARSHI & RAVI FOUND LOVE DURING LOCKDOWN
What’s a failure you’ve experienced in the last few years and what did you learn from it?
I would not say it’s a failure but rather a challenge, which is raising young children in this social media era. I have learned that I need to understand it is part of their lives and I can’t deny them access to it. I need to be knowledgeable in the various platforms, ensure they understand the risk and monitor to the extent possible.
What do you do outside of work for fun?
I have two young girls who keep me busy outside of work. I enjoy entertaining, watching movies and reading, but travelling on vacation is what I look forward to the most.
In terms of your personal legacy, in a few sentences, describe how you want to be remembered by your family and friends?
As a humble person who is always there for them in their times of need. A good female role model, raised her children with the right values, who are able to achieve their dreams and remain a part of our lives.
Who is one person from the global Tamil community and one person that isn’t Tamil that you admire and why?
A.R. Rahman is one person from the Tamil community that I admire. His talent and music has transcended all boundaries, but he continues to be a very humble person who hasn’t forgotten his roots and gives back to the community without fanfare.
Obama has been a refreshing leader; his charisma and ability to connect with people from all walks of life is something I admire.
What do you think you would tell 16-year Subo looking back?
Set high goals for yourself, don’t settle for less, learn from your mistakes and be confident you can achieve what you want in life.
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.47): Mathusha Senthil - Founder/CEO of Sex Toy Company (Thaen Pot) & Media Platform (Thaen X)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.46): Ruban Kanapathippillai - Serial Tech Entrepreneur With Two Exits Collectively Over $1 Billion"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.45): Sharon Bala - Award-winning & Bestselling Author of "The Boat People""
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.44): Vas Saranga - Canadian Actor, Writer & Entrepreneur (TheOnlineActor.com)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.43): Roveena - Multi-Award Winning Canadian Recording Artist, Songwriter & Pianist"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.42): Kartik Bala - CEO & Co-Founder of SnapSmile, AI-Driven Oral Health Monitoring App"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.41): Dr. Saskia Sivananthan - Chief Research & KTE Officer At The Alzheimer Society of Canada"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.40): Roy Ratnavel - From Mail Clerk To Executive Vice-President at CI Financial"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.39): Luxy Thuraisingam - Storyteller & Leader, Head of Global Partner Marketing At Cisco"
- "These Tamil Entrepreneurs Share How They Grew Their Side Hustles"
What is your favourite book(s) you've read recently or a podcast(s) that you've listened to recently that's had an impact on you?
I read mostly for pleasure and enjoy a few main stream and South Asian authors. Other books and podcasts I listen to are for my development as a leader, and they have helped my journey over the years.
What is a new belief, behaviour or habit that has most improved your life?
Positivity is something I have started to pay attention to over the past few years, especially during this pandemic when it’s been easy to get into a negative space. Focusing on the positive things in my life, as well as things I have control over, helps me manage my work life balance.
If you were given $1 billion, how would you allocate the money to change the world?
There are a lot of worthy causes in this world, however I would spend it on education for young girls. Women being educated will allow us to move the needle on many fronts and make this world a better place for more people.
How would you describe the impact that the Toronto Tamil community has had on you personally and on your career?
The support system provided by family and friends is what has helped me successfully balance both my family and career. The efforts of the Tamil community have been instrumental in allowing us to share our culture with our daughters.
What is your favourite Tamil food (meal or dessert)?
Crab curry and devil shrimp or squid are my favourite, but my comfort food is my mom’s chicken curry, which I make with her special spice mixture.
What is your favourite Tamil movie?
I enjoy romantic movies and have a number of favourites, but two that I re-watch often are Raavanan and Neethaane En Ponvasantham. I also love the music in these movies.
What does Tamil culture mean to you?
Tamil culture to me is family values, religion, festivals, food, music, dance and art. Assimilation into the Canadian culture does not mean we need to lose our Tamil culture. We need to take the best of both worlds and make it our own.
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
"myTamilDate Love Story: Jenani & Nav Found Each Other At The Right Time And Right Place In Life"
"myTamilDate.com Love Story: Tharshi & Ravi Found Love During Lockdown"
"myTamilDate.com Love Story: Suji & Sinthu Lived 15 Minutes Apart For Years And Never Met Until Joining MTD"
"How France Met Canada: A MyTamilDate.com Love Story"
***CLICK HERE to listen to us on Spotify!***
- "Award-Winning Tamil-American Author And Educator SJ Sindu, Releases Second Novel Called "Blue-Skinned Gods" That Explores Identity, Faith, Family & Sexuality"
- "Serial Entrepreneur Vinoth Kumar Created Singapore-Based App ABL-ify To Remove Stigmas Around Autism In Asian Communities"
- "Boston-Based Suba Suntharalingam Overcomes Challenges As An Immigrant To Start Non-Profit Providing Opportunities For The Wounded, Widows and Orphans of War In Sri Lanka"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Abarna Raj, CEO of Australian Social Startup Palmera, Is Tackling World Poverty"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Tea Drops CEO & Founder, Sashee Chandran"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Knowledgehook's CEO, Travis Ratnam"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Kabo CEO & Founder, Vino Jeyapalan"
- "Danny Sriskandarajah's Journey From Rural Sri Lanka to CEO of Oxfam Great Britain"
- "The NBA Bubble: Dr. Priya Sampathkumar Helped Make It Happen"
- "These Tamil Founders Behind Agritech Startup Dunya Habitats Want To Alleviate Food Security Globally"
- "Marketing Maven Jackson Jeyanayagam Shares Insights From His Illustrious 20-Year Career"
- "Angel Investor Jay Vasantharajah On Building His Portfolio One Day At A Time"
- "Breaking Into Hollywood: Meet Tamil-Canadian Actor Vas Saranga"
- "Meet Rebecca Dharmapalan - Filmmaker, Legal Scholar, And Activist"