She joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss her upbringing in Saudi Arabia, working at the World Health Organization in Switzerland, how and why she got involved with work revolving around aging and dementia, voluntarily living in a senior home for two weeks (as a resident) and much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam). As someone who is extremely inquisitive by nature, I created the podcast to chat with, spotlight, and learn about brilliance among creators in the Tamil community - and among creators in general from all over the world.
**TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***Get notified FIRST on future podcast updates & special updates (WITH ZERO SPAM) - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Ara introduces this week’s guest, Dr. Saskia Sivananthan
00:56 - Dr. Saskia speaks on the impact of growing up in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
05:15 - Opting for an academic career path as a result of her love for learning, before changing her mind
08:50 - Being forced into playing the piano and then falling in love with it
11:47 - Living in Senior Homes for two weeks (just to see what it was like)
17:15 - How surplus demand for healthcare affects the quality of healthcare provided
21:16 - Working at Alberta Health Services
25:40 - Working at the World Health Organization in Switzerland
30:00 - Returning to Canada to take up her current role
33:09 - What Dr. Saskia’s job scope entails
35:20 - Information around dementia that the public needs to be more aware of
38:12 - How Dr. Saskia began doing work around dementia; meeting Vince
46:26 - Biggest learning lessons over the last five years
51:56 - What Dr. Saskia would tell her 16-year-old self
53:28 - The personal legacy she wants to leave behind
55:01 - Creator Confessions
59:44 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.40): Roy Ratnavel - From Mail Clerk To Executive Vice-President at CI Financial"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.39): Luxy Thuraisingam - Storyteller & Leader, Head of Global Partner Marketing At Cisco"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.38): Sathish Bala - CEO of EdTech Startup Schoolio + Founder of desiFEST (largest South Asian Music Festival in North America)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.37): Krish O'Mara Vignarajah - Former Policy Director To Michelle Obama + President/CEO Of LIRS"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.36): Stefan Thurairatnam - Luxury Brand Influencer Travelling The World After Quitting 9-5 Corporate Finance Job"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.35): Sumi Shan - Former Politico & Co-Founder of Agritech Startup (Dunya Habitats)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.34): Robert Rajeswaran – Singapore-Based Serial Entrepreneur (Born in Sri Lanka & Raised in London) & Co-Founder of Boxaroo"
- "Award-Winning Tamil-American Author And Educator SJ Sindu, Releases Second Novel Called "Blue-Skinned Gods" That Explores Identity, Faith, Family & Sexuality"
- "Serial Entrepreneur Vinoth Kumar Created Singapore-Based App ABL-ify To Remove Stigmas Around Autism In Asian Communities"
- "Boston-Based Suba Suntharalingam Overcomes Challenges As An Immigrant To Start Non-Profit Providing Opportunities For The Wounded, Widows and Orphans of War In Sri Lanka"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"