***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
He joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss how he got into the franchising game, doing business with family, missing out on fun with friends/family when he was younger because of the responsibilities that came with being a business owner, the future of franchise businesses, the challenge of finding good staff post-pandemic, not paying himself for the first couple years of running the business, and so much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Franchising and how Ara found this week’s guest
01:22 - Ara introduces Piraveen Sivalingam
01:56 - How Piraveen became a franchisee; his family’s involvement with restaurants
04:39 - The challenges of him and his brother being young entrants into the franchisee world
06:53 - Doing business with family; what Piraveen would do different if he started again
08:14 - Why his dad became a franchisee; what else Piraveen wants to be a franchisee for
12:52 - Will franchise businesses like A&W and McDonald’s continue to thrive?
14:29 - The challenge of finding good staff post-pandemic
16:40 - What does Piraveen’s day to day look like now, versus when he first started?
18:53 - Being a young franchisee while all his friends were partying
20:34 - The sacrifices of pursuing entrepreneurship
23:13 - Where Piraveen see himself in 10 years; expanding
25:35 - The process of buying a Boston Pizza
27:32 - Piraveen’s relationship with money; side hustles, real estate, and more
29:08 - His connection to the Tamil community
30:50 - Piraveen’s biggest failures/learning lessons over the last 3-5 years
32:02 - The first 100K being the hardest to make; setting aside a failure/learning budget
35:55 - His strategy for driving sales at Boston Pizza
37:29 - What he would tell his 16-year-old self
39:05 - How he wants to be remembered by his friends and family
39:57 - Creator Confessions
51:29 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #83): Vanessa Raquel Raponi - Engineer At Spin Master, Founder of EngiQueers Canada & Abuse Survivor
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #82): Sundar Viswanathan - Award-Winning (Including A 2022 JUNO) Canadian Jazz Musician
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #81): Anusha Srijeyanathan - From Employee #17 At Eloqua (Acquired By Oracle) To Executive VP of Client Success At Benevity
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #80): Gokul Natesan - The Life Of A Professional Basketball Player
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #79): Sarah Sukumaran - Former Nike Product Director Disrupting The Hypermasculine Sneaker Market With Her Female-Centric Brand Lilith
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #78): Jey Balachandran - From Employee #7 To CTO At Doximity (800+ Person Publicly Traded Tech Company)
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #77): Jallaja Pararajasingham - Dancer, Choreographer & Founder Of Let's Jalsa Dance Academy
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Nivatha Balendra On Surviving Cancer & Building a CleanTech Startup"
- Tamil Innovators: Prajeeth Balasubramaniam Discusses Startups & Investing in Sri Lanka
- "Separated From Family During Sri Lanka's Civil War, Ganesh Thava Overcomes Childhood Adversities To Find Success As Actor, Writer & Director"
- "Singaporean-Born, Canadian-Raised, Decolonial Racial Equity Educator Channdika Thayver Delivers Powerful TEDx Talk On Racial Equity In The Workplace"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Theban Ganesh Discusses Building a Web3 Company, Improving Healthcare Through Blockchain, Successful Exits"
- "Karthy Subramaniam Co-founded Fast Growing Sauce Company LITS as a Tribute to a Childhood Friend"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"