***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
She joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss working for Nike before starting her own company, the future of manufacturing (ie. 3-D printing, etc.), seeing a a gap in female footwear and using her house down payment funds to kickstart the business, her first product being inspired by a bird that is almost extinct in the Philippines, missing out on the chance to decode the human genome, and so much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Sarah’s return from Portugal, recovery from COVID, and New York post-pandemic
02:15 - Being obsessed with books, science, and basketball shoes from a young age
04:32 - Her career path was never linear; MedTech, consulting, marketing, and more
06:15 - The impact of education in Sarah’s career; the importance of time management
08:04 - Will she ever pursue her love of science? Tamil dads and dictionaries
09:43 - Having a strict dad, not getting to enjoy summer a kid, how she feels about it now
11:51 - Leaving a tech career to work for Nike as Director of Product; what she learned
16:01 - Nike waving her 18-month non-compete clause; operating with regret for 5 years
18:01 - Financially planning for leaving Nike to pursue entrepreneurship full-time
19:41 - The “entrepreneurial itch”; social commentary on her decision to start a business
21:06 - How Sarah came up with Lilith NYC, and building something she could sell
24:10 - Creating Lilith NYC’s first pair of shoes; starting with factories in China
27:21 - Leaving China due to geopolitics, COVID, etc.
28:49 - The future of manufacturing, current supply chain issues, and 3D printing
30:41 - Rolling out a pre-order model in January of 2021 without even having a sample ready
32:36 - Her marketing strategy to promote Lilith NYC; initially only having 300 followers
35:19 - Expanding from selling sneakers to also selling clothing (hoodies, beanies, etc.)
36:22 - Fundraising with plans to accelerate her business’ growth
40:59 - Her ultimate brand vision for Lilith NYC; will it become a media company?
42:33 - How Sarah found out about Founder Collective; what has been the impact?
45:13 - Advice for her fellow female Tamil entrepreneurs
45:30 - Advice she would give her 16-year-old self
46:17 - The personal legacy that Sarah wants to be remembered for by friends and family
46:38 - Creator Confessions
51:22 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #78): Jey Balachandran - From Employee #7 To CTO At Doximity (800+ Person Publicly Traded Tech Company)
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #77): Jallaja Pararajasingham - Dancer, Choreographer & Founder Of Let's Jalsa Dance Academy
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #76): Naren Balakrishnan - Helping Canadian Companies Innovate By Navigating The Multi-Billion Dollar SRED Program
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #75): Apinayah Arul – Starting Varman’s Smile Foundation After Losing Her Younger Brother To Suicide
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #74): Sibi Selvanathan - Writing & Publishing An Amazon Top 5 Epic Fantasy Book In 18 Months During The Pandemic
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #73): Tia Bhuva - Founder Of Successful E-Commerce Brand (TiaBhuva.com) & Creator Of The "Saree Silhouette"
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #72): Bhi Bhiman - St. Louis Native & Musician On His Journey Including New Album "I'll Sleep When I'm Famous"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Nivatha Balendra On Surviving Cancer & Building a CleanTech Startup"
- Tamil Innovators: Prajeeth Balasubramaniam Discusses Startups & Investing in Sri Lanka
- "Separated From Family During Sri Lanka's Civil War, Ganesh Thava Overcomes Childhood Adversities To Find Success As Actor, Writer & Director"
- "Singaporean-Born, Canadian-Raised, Decolonial Racial Equity Educator Channdika Thayver Delivers Powerful TEDx Talk On Racial Equity In The Workplace"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Theban Ganesh Discusses Building a Web3 Company, Improving Healthcare Through Blockchain, Successful Exits"
- "Karthy Subramaniam Co-founded Fast Growing Sauce Company LITS as a Tribute to a Childhood Friend"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"