***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
He joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss his latest album "I'll Sleep When I'm Famous" as a tribute to his late nephew, the guitar being his first love at age 7, his album being a socio-political response to Donald Trump’s election and the American landscape, doing a parody of Whiplash with Keegan-Michael Key (@Keegan-Michael Key) and struggling to keep up, Twitter being a ‘bad neighbourhood’ that Bhi doesn’t enjoy visiting, getting to go on tour with one of his heroes (lead vocalist and guitarist Chris Cornell [@chriscornellofficial] of Soundgarden), and so much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - You interrupt and eavesdrop on a conversation between Ara and this week’s guest, Bhi Bhiman
01:57 - Bhi catches you up to speed on what he and Ara were discussing; growing up listening to Ray Charles, Nina Simone, etc.
02:51 - Growing up in St. Louis, suppressing his culture to fit in, and having ‘rebellious’ tastes in music and entertainment
07:08 - Feeling like a career in entertainment was unreachable, the Sri Lankan expectation for children to be ‘excellent’
12:25 - What Bhi’s schedule and regimen to stay on top of his game entails, and the purity of children
17:19 - His last album ‘Peace of Mind’ being released as a podcast with weekly songs; how it was received by fans
22:05 - Content being consumed differently in the streaming era and Bhi’s interview with Keegan-Michael Key
26:12 - How the movie Whiplash depicts the price of greatness
27:50 - Living with LA and how often Bhi interacts with celebrities, and why he moved there
29:43 - Writing new album ‘I’ll Sleep When I’m Famous’ as commentary on current times and tribute to his late nephew
33:36 - The South Asian tendency to not talk about our feelings and newer generations trying to shed this thought process
36:19 - Leaders of technology companies not letting their own children use their platforms; people trying to break away from tech
37:16 - Bhi’s goals for the next 5 years and the type of influence/imprint he hopes to have once he’s gone; planning to take Ara’s job
39:56 - His dream collaboration; an electronic dance band from France called ‘Justice’
41:06 - Why writing a scripted podcast album release was one of the hardest things Bhi has done
43:33 - The personal legacy he wants to be remembered for by the public and his family
45:07 - Advice he would give his 16-year-old self if he could jump in a time machine
47:53 - Creator Confessions
52:28 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #71): Tanya Selvaratnam - Emmy-Nominated Producer, Writer, Abuse Survivor & Social Justice Champion
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #70): Prakash Chandran - Co-Founder & CEO of Xano, Fastest No Code Backend Development Platform
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #69): Apiramy Jeyarajah - Creating & Embracing Change As The Head of UK Wholesale At Aviva Investors
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #68): Tharshan Rajendiram - Co-Creator Of The "Basement Reels" YouTube Channel (80,000+ Subscribers)
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #67): Rathika Sitsabaiesan - From Politician (Canada's 1st Tamil MP) to Professor
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #66): Dunstan Peter - On Launching Trinity Tech, A Multi-Million Dollar Business
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #65): Rubi Balasingam - Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Promoting Tamil Voices In TV & Film
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Nivatha Balendra On Surviving Cancer & Building a CleanTech Startup"
- Tamil Innovators: Prajeeth Balasubramaniam Discusses Startups & Investing in Sri Lanka
- "Separated From Family During Sri Lanka's Civil War, Ganesh Thava Overcomes Childhood Adversities To Find Success As Actor, Writer & Director"
- "Singaporean-Born, Canadian-Raised, Decolonial Racial Equity Educator Channdika Thayver Delivers Powerful TEDx Talk On Racial Equity In The Workplace"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Theban Ganesh Discusses Building a Web3 Company, Improving Healthcare Through Blockchain, Successful Exits"
- "Karthy Subramaniam Co-founded Fast Growing Sauce Company LITS as a Tribute to a Childhood Friend"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"