***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
She joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss how she came up with the idea for her flagship product the "Saree Silhouette", her data-driven obsession resulting in 800K+ Instagram followers & almost 100 million YouTube views, having a high risk pregnancy, being transparent about her side hustle even while she was working at Walmart, thinking her pursuit of entrepreneurship would fail during COVID-19, employing family members, being specific about who she eventually sells her company to and her plan once she gets to that point, and so much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Tia speaks on how her business fared during the pandemic and starting the company to spend more time with her kids
01:53 - What TiaBhuva.com sold, how the business started, and how it has evolved over time
04:13 - Taking every picture for the company website from an outdated phone until March 2020, quitting her full-time job to pursue her business
07:31 - Previously working for Walmart as a Food Buyer, leveraging the power of social media to build her own brand
17:02 - A guest from EP #55 (Manjula Selvarajah) is who featured Tia on CBC
18:36 - The importance of strong first hires, how Tia decides if someone will be with the company long-term, and her son makes a special appearance
27:00 - Having 300K+ subscribers and nearly 100 million views on her YouTube channel; not knowing what she was doing when starting her socials
32:51 - Being more accountable when starting a business with more life experience and having the ability to deal with ‘haters’
39:17 - How Tia simultaneously managed her side hustle and full-time corporate job before pulling the trigger to solely walk the path of entrepreneurship
48:17 - Will Tia sell TiaBhuva.com in the next decade? And her plan to get into consulting once she achieves an exit
53:30 - Tia speaks on Naval Ravikant and how his interviews have impacted her
55:20 - Did Tia always know she would be an entrepreneur?
58:43 - Advice she would give her 16-year-old and 26-year-old self, if she could jump in a time machine
1:02:07 - The personal legacy she wants to be remembered for by her friends and family
1:04:24 - Creator Confessions
1:14:22 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #72): Bhi Bhiman - St. Louis Native & Musician On His Journey Including New Album "I'll Sleep When I'm Famous"
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #71): Tanya Selvaratnam - Emmy-Nominated Producer, Writer, Abuse Survivor & Social Justice Champion
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #70): Prakash Chandran - Co-Founder & CEO of Xano, Fastest No Code Backend Development Platform
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #69): Apiramy Jeyarajah - Creating & Embracing Change As The Head of UK Wholesale At Aviva Investors
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #68): Tharshan Rajendiram - Co-Creator Of The "Basement Reels" YouTube Channel (80,000+ Subscribers)
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #67): Rathika Sitsabaiesan - From Politician (Canada's 1st Tamil MP) to Professor
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #66): Dunstan Peter - On Launching Trinity Tech, A Multi-Million Dollar Business
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Nivatha Balendra On Surviving Cancer & Building a CleanTech Startup"
- Tamil Innovators: Prajeeth Balasubramaniam Discusses Startups & Investing in Sri Lanka
- "Separated From Family During Sri Lanka's Civil War, Ganesh Thava Overcomes Childhood Adversities To Find Success As Actor, Writer & Director"
- "Singaporean-Born, Canadian-Raised, Decolonial Racial Equity Educator Channdika Thayver Delivers Powerful TEDx Talk On Racial Equity In The Workplace"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Theban Ganesh Discusses Building a Web3 Company, Improving Healthcare Through Blockchain, Successful Exits"
- "Karthy Subramaniam Co-founded Fast Growing Sauce Company LITS as a Tribute to a Childhood Friend"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"