***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
Rubi joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss starting out her career while doing comedic theatre, the importance of a side hustle as an actor, learning Kung Fu & ballet to improve her odds in acting, discussing being an extrovert vs introvert, if she would ever consider moving to North America for her acting career, the experience with dealing with different agents, Mortal Kombat being filmed in Australia, and much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Ara introduces this week’s guest, Rubi Balasingam
01:03 - Rubi speaks on a ’typical immigrant’ upbringing; unable to watch the Simpsons but violent Tamil movies were okay
03:49 - Her journey to becoming an actress/writer (Ara interrupts to rave about Kim’s Convenience)
06:43 - Not telling her parents about acting, working her way up with agents, landing her first TV show
11:59 - Lack of transparency around actors talking about how difficult it was for them to make it
13:30 - How Rubi deals with ‘repeated rejection’ as it relates to auditions
15:41 - Using martial arts, ballet, and hanging out with her ‘normal 9-5 friends’ as a coping mechanism
17:30 - The importance of perspective and not playing the victim
18:31 - Australia not being known for acting; is Rubi considering a move elsewhere?
21:56 - Rubi’s thoughts on Australia and its Tamil community
24:16 - Living in a immigrant heavy area where Tamil food (and Mutton Rolls) is easily accessible
27:13 - Is pursuing a career in the creative arts being normalized in the Tamil community? Rubi thinks yes
32:04 - How Rubi ‘fills income gaps’ when she’s not acting - her degree and side hustles
35:02 - Rubi’s relationship with money, and how she views it versus how her parents view it
37:21 - Her financial goals as it relates to saving and investing; why she stays in the immediate long-term
39:21 - Not wanting to live a life that isn’t 110% what she wants it to be
40:21 - Rubi is insecure about…
47:10 - Her interests outside of work; socializing, martial arts, ballet, food, dog walking, libraries, and more
48:38 - Is Rubi extroverted or introverted?
50:07 - How she wants to be remembered by friends and family
50:48 - The way in which Rubi’s friendships have changed/evolved
52:14 - What makes a good friend?
53:32 - Transitioning into ‘grown up Rubi’
55:32 - Who she admires from the global Tamil and non-Tamil community
1:02:15 - Creator Confessions
1:05:32 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #64): Rajan Bala - Missing Out On A "Big Exit" As The Co-Founder Of Retail Tech Startup Hiku
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #63): Milli Thangarajah - International Makeup Artist (Published)
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #62): Vinnin (Vinuson Suntharesan) - 17-Year-Old Canadian Hip Hop Artist With A Song On The NBA 2K21 Soundtrack
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #61): Priscilla Sreedharan - Former Associate Producer on CBC's Dragons' Den
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #60): Ravi Srinivasan - International Programmer At The Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) & Hot Docs
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #59): Genevive Savundranayagam - Serial Entrepreneur & Brand Builder Behind Mahara Mindfulness (Creator Of "The Human Being Journal")
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #58): Suresh Sriskandarajah - Lawyer, Engineer & MBA Grade Who Overcame Extreme Personal Adversity To Achieve Success"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Nivatha Balendra On Surviving Cancer & Building a CleanTech Startup"
- Tamil Innovators: Prajeeth Balasubramaniam Discusses Startups & Investing in Sri Lanka
- "Separated From Family During Sri Lanka's Civil War, Ganesh Thava Overcomes Childhood Adversities To Find Success As Actor, Writer & Director"
- "Singaporean-Born, Canadian-Raised, Decolonial Racial Equity Educator Channdika Thayver Delivers Powerful TEDx Talk On Racial Equity In The Workplace"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Theban Ganesh Discusses Building a Web3 Company, Improving Healthcare Through Blockchain, Successful Exits"
- "Karthy Subramaniam Co-founded Fast Growing Sauce Company LITS as a Tribute to a Childhood Friend"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"