***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
She joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss her time working with Dragon’s Den, wanting to be Peter Mansbridge when she was growing up, being a ‘serial hobbyist’, food sustainability, her thoughts on the lack of transparency around the topic of money, living frugally and being intentional with her purchases, how she CRUSHED $30K of debt in 6 months with her partner, and much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Ara introduces this week’s guest, Priscilla Sreedharan
01:05 - Priscilla speaks on her upbringing and family background
02:22 - Moving from High Park to Rexdale during COVID
03:50 - Initially meeting at church, Priscilla invited Ara to a day of auditions at Dragon’s Den
05:50 - How she came across the opportunity to be an Associate Producer for Dragon’s Den
09:18 - Her criteria for picking entrepreneurs to be featured on the show
10:01 - Did she have any say in terms of selecting the ‘Dragons’ and interacting with them?
10:41 - Priscilla’s favourite Dragon was…
11:29 - How she felt working with such an iconic show in Canada, and seeing its impact
13:17 - What are the growth opportunities for an Associate Producer? Quitting with no plan
15:10 - Would she return to CBC to work on Kim’s Convenience?
15:52 - How she ended up with Cineplex
18:15 - Something she learned at Cineplex that she didn’t learn at CBC
20:35 - How Priscilla sees the movie experience rebounding after COVID
22:19 - Leaving creative roles in the TV/film industry for a ‘corporate’ experience at TD Bank
28:02 - Were Priscilla’s parents always supportive of her career choices?
31:38 - Her interests outside of work; knitting, cooking, gardening, and more
32:34 - The Sri Lankan immigrant dream: children becoming third generation farmers?
34:27 - Where Priscilla sees herself in the next 3-5 years
35:22 - How she views money/investments; crushing $30,000 of debt in 6 months
37:35 - How did she save 40% of her earnings; Priscilla providers her tips/tricks
38:58 - Ara talks about the FIRE movement and some of his own financial habits
42:41 - The impact that the Toronto-Tamil community has had on Priscilla
45:39 - How she wants friends and family to describe her
47:33 - People she admires from the global Tamil and non-Tamil communities
51:45 - Advice she would give to fellow aspiring Tamil creators
53:47 - Creator Confessions
59:34 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #60): Ravi Srinivasan - International Programmer At The Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) & Hot Docs
- The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #59): Genevive Savundranayagam - Serial Entrepreneur & Brand Builder Behind Mahara Mindfulness (Creator Of "The Human Being Journal")
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #58): Suresh Sriskandarajah - Lawyer, Engineer & MBA Grade Who Overcame Extreme Personal Adversity To Achieve Success"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #57): Amritha Shakti – Chennai-Born, Australian-Raised Musician With An MBA"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #56): Mayuran Yogarajah - Being Employee #2 At Index Exchange"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #55): Manjula Selvarajah & Kirthana Sasitharan - CBC Journalists Behind The Award-Winning "Boldly Asian" Series"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (EP #54): Chief Nishan Duraiappah - North America's First Tamil Chief of Police"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Nivatha Balendra On Surviving Cancer & Building a CleanTech Startup"
- Tamil Innovators: Prajeeth Balasubramaniam Discusses Startups & Investing in Sri Lanka
- "Separated From Family During Sri Lanka's Civil War, Ganesh Thava Overcomes Childhood Adversities To Find Success As Actor, Writer & Director"
- "Singaporean-Born, Canadian-Raised, Decolonial Racial Equity Educator Channdika Thayver Delivers Powerful TEDx Talk On Racial Equity In The Workplace"
- "Tamil Innovators Spotlight: Theban Ganesh Discusses Building a Web3 Company, Improving Healthcare Through Blockchain, Successful Exits"
- "Karthy Subramaniam Co-founded Fast Growing Sauce Company LITS as a Tribute to a Childhood Friend"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"