Thad Jayaseelan (@thaddeus.10) has been the go-to barber for the likes of celebrities like Drake (@champagnepapi), Big Sean (@bigsean) & J Balvin (@jbalvin). He's also the "Teacher of Teachers" for L'Oreal (@lorealpro_education_canada) in Canada along with launching his company Gradient (@gradient____), which saw sales from Day 1 of launching.
***Are you or someone you know in the global Tamil community doing great things? We'd love to feature them: FILL OUT THIS FORM ***
Network & collaborate with Tamil Changemakers from around the world. Request to join our private LinkedIn community here.
He joins Ara on this week’s episode of #TheTamilCreator to discuss what it was like living with Drake for 2 weeks while he cut his hair, why he started his company Gradient, the importance of a strong work ethic, why he enjoys travelling alone, how he blocked out the naysayers, and so much more.
"The Tamil Creator" is a podcast started by me (Ara Ehamparam) to celebrate, spotlight and learn about the brilliance among Tamil creators globally. I want you to feel like you're a fly on the wall eavesdropping on a conversation that is a combination of educational, inspirational and entertaining.
*TAKE THE QUIZ - "What Type of Creator Are You?"**
***JOIN THE LIST - CLICK HERE!***
- CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Apple Podcasts!
- CLICK HERE to listen to us on Google Podcasts!
00:19 - Ara introduces this week’s guest, Thad Jayaseelan
01:08 - Thad’s upbringing in Montreal and his new business “Gradient”
03:49 - Why he’s stepping out of the spotlight and working more behind-the-scenes
05:41 - Teaching abroad in Europe
08:13 - Securing an opportunity with L’Oreal
09:50 - Why he enjoys travelling (alone)
11:55 - Saving and investing from a young age
14:25 - Mentors who have made a difference in Thad’s life
19:16 - How he got to cut Drake’s hair (and living with him for two weeks)
22:47 - How his perception of celebrities have changed by being a barber for them
25:41 - Why he started Gradient, the company’s trajectory after 5 months
30:31 - How the company works, marketing strategy (social media and word-of-mouth)
32:44 - How the Tamil community reacted to Thad’s ambitions at the beginning of his entrepreneurial journey versus now
37:32 - Where he sees himself in 5 years
38:37 - Advice Thad would give his 16-year-old self
39:47 - The personal legacy he wants to be remembered for (by friends and family)
41:16 - Who Thad looks up to in the global Tamil and non-Tamil community
45:42 - Kyrie Irving makes a quick appearance on the podcast
46:12 - Creator Confessions
50:54 - The Wrap Up
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.49): DJ Kow - Trailblazing & Popular Toronto-Based Female DJ"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.48): Gobinthiran Kulendran - 9 Schools And 21 Location Changes During A War Couldn't Stop This Entrepreneur From Finding Success"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.47): Mathusha Senthil - Founder/CEO of Sex Toy Company (Thaen Pot) & Media Platform (Thaen X)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.46): Ruban Kanapathippillai - Serial Tech Entrepreneur With Two Exits Collectively Over $1 Billion"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.45): Sharon Bala - Award-winning & Bestselling Author of "The Boat People""
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.44): Vas Saranga - Canadian Actor, Writer & Entrepreneur (TheOnlineActor.com)"
- "The Tamil Creator Podcast (Ep.43): Roveena - Multi-Award Winning Canadian Recording Artist, Songwriter & Pianist"
- "Award-Winning Tamil-American Author And Educator SJ Sindu, Releases Second Novel Called "Blue-Skinned Gods" That Explores Identity, Faith, Family & Sexuality"
- "Serial Entrepreneur Vinoth Kumar Created Singapore-Based App ABL-ify To Remove Stigmas Around Autism In Asian Communities"
- "Boston-Based Suba Suntharalingam Overcomes Challenges As An Immigrant To Start Non-Profit Providing Opportunities For The Wounded, Widows and Orphans of War In Sri Lanka"
- "Elite Athlete, Coach, Future Chiropractor & Entrepreneur Abirami Shanmugaratnam Is Making Waves In The Athletic Performance Industry"
- "Toronto's OG Food Writer Suresh Doss Is Using His Reach And Voice To Help Engineer A Comeback For Beleaguered Restaurant Industry"
- "Ballet And Kung Fu Trained Australian Actress & Writer Rubi Balasingam Is Promoting Tamil Voices In Aussie TV And Film"
- "Yathusha Kulenthiran's Marketplace For Environmentally Sustainable Palmyra Products Empowers Female Artisans In Sri Lanka"
- "Australian-Tamil Entrepreneur Sujan Selven Is Creating Economic Opportunities For Remote Villages In Northeast Sri Lanka Using Upcycled Devices & Improved Connectivity"
- "Crypto Tinhorn & Former Journalist Anand Venkateswaran Talks About Buying A $69M Digital Art Piece, Collecting Stories & Catalyzing Change"