Sometimes the question 'what do you want to be when you grow up?' can be faced with disapproval. Now, this is something that many Tamil kids may face. This story started as an assignment at my University for the course Comedy and Tragedy - where we had to write an adaption of a short story of our choosing and I chose to write an adaption of, "The Paper Menagerie".
This short story spoke about culture and the differences a child of immigrant parents would have compared to other children, whose culture resides in the country they live in. It really inspired me to write about another aspect of culture, which is career. In my story, I explore the expectations a Tamil parent would have for their child and I dive into the effect it could have on the mental health of a kid such as myself. The main reason I published this book was to help others and let them know they are not alone as this topic affects many children and it hasn't been as talked about as it should be.
Please check out the book on the Canadian version of Amazon's website Here.
About the book: This book is about a boy who goes through a particularly rough patch of life - trying to please his parents while pursuing his own happiness,on different terms. This clash can happen with almost anything, whether it's a career or love life. For some lucky people, they can escape this clash in a healthy way. But for others, it's not always easy. I hope this book will help people by letting them know they're not alone and give tips on how others have overcome similar circumstances.
**Looking to create your love story? Join the other couples who have dated and got married through myTamilDate.com!***
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.14): Yanchan – Popular Carnatic Hip Hop Producer Talks About His Drake-Inspired Dreams, Love For Scarborough & Financial Freedom"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.13): Tanya Yoganathan – Momtrepreneur Created An E-Commerce Business That Netflix Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Is A Fan Of"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.12): Dayalan Mahesan – How A UK-Based DJ & Car Enthusiast Became A Full-Time Property Investor By Age 40"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.11): JYXDI (Jyothee Murali) - Amassing Over 150K Followers And Collecting $10,000 For A Single Piece of Art"
- "The Tamil Creator (Ep.10): Vijay Sappani - Co-Founder Of A Billion-Dollar Cannabis Company, Philanthropist And Rare Disease Hunter"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP.9): Sashee Chandran - A Chrissy Tiegen Tweet Helped Turn A Passion Project Into Tea Drops, A Multi-Million Dollar Company"
- "The Tamil Creator (EP. 4): Micro-Business Investor Chen Vasanthakumar Talks About Buying a Business For $0K And Selling It For $60K"
- "Episode #2: Learn From The Real Estate Investor Who Acquired 41 Units In A Few Years"
- "Award-Winning Division 1 Basketball Player And Pre-Med STudent Shayna Mehta Challenges The Notion That Brown Girls Can't Ball"
- "This Tamil-Canadian Co-Founder Of An Aussie Startup Raised $7.1M Series A To Manage Property Differently"
- "Danny Sriskandarajah's Journey From Rural Sri Lanka to CEO of Oxfam Great Britain"
- "The NBA Bubble: Dr. Priya Sampathkumar Helped Make It Happen"
- "These Tamil Founders Behind Agritech Startup Dunya Habitats Want To Alleviate Food Security Globally"
- "Marketing Maven Jackson Jeyanayagam Shares Insights From His Illustrious 20-Year Career"
- "Angel Investor Jay Vasantharajah On Building His Portfolio One Day At A Time"
- "Meet Tamil-Canadian Journalist Kumutha Ramanathan"
- "Breaking Into Hollywood: Meet Tamil-Canadian Actor Vas Saranga"
- "Meet Rebecca Dharmapalan - Filmmaker, Legal Scholar, And Activist"