- Recording study materials that can then be accessed via audio clips.
- Arranging for scribes to support students so that they can complete exams.
- Working with students to uncover their hidden talents, and showcasing these talents through different events.
- Providing training with technology and support to secure jobs.
- Creating a digital audio library through which they are compiling materials spanning academic, motivation, and competitive exam materials.
- Working on intiatives to raise awareness about the challenges students with vision impairments face, and the ways in which they can be supported.
By 2018, Lit the Light was helping to arrange over 5000 scribes every year for students across Tamil Nadu. Without the organization, these students were left to find their own supports, on top of other daily challenges that they face.
Additional milestones they've achieved include:
- Discovering the musical talents of Jyothi, who sang the melodious ‘Kannamma’ for music director GV Prakash Kumar in his film Adangathey.
- Organizing a Chennai district level cricket tournament for those with visual impairments in 2014, and Tamil Nadu's state-wide Blindfold Cricket Tournament in 2017.
- Helping to find financial support for aspiring athletes with vision impairments. Lit the light has supported K. Ramesh, a TN cricket player who represented India in 2015 at the Cricket World Cup, in the differently abled category. And they also raised funds for M Susheela, R Vijayasanthi, and J Manoharan who participated in the 2016 Common Wealth Judo Championship. These 3 competitors went on to win two gold medals and one bronze medal, respectively.
Today Lit the Light is an entirely volunteer based organization, with volunteers in India (Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Vellore, Erode, Karur, Cuddalore and Salem), U.S.A., U.K., Bahrain and other Gulf countries. They are currently looking to expand their services to Canada and recruit volunteers from there as well. Those interested in volunteering can reach out to Barath directly at +91 9894949878 via Whatsapp. Lit the Light recruits volunteers on an ongoing basis, particularly to help record audio of materials that can support the students they serve.