What does it take to be successful?
This is a question Jagunath and I get asked a lot as life coaches. A life coach is an expert in goal setting and guiding people toward their purpose. I have always been someone who has been goal focused, driven toward my own definition of success and during COVID-19 I had a lot of time. Whilst working on my own set of gaols, I spent a lot of my time thinking about how we can help the community and that's when the idea of a Goal Setting for Success Masterclass was given birth to.
After a few hours of Zoom calls that Jagunath and I had set up a plan to make this work. We promoted the Masterclass on our Social Media platforms and allowed registration via my site.
Within the first 24 hours, we had filled up all 30 spots we had ready as we wanted to make this session as interactive as possible and help each person have defined goals. Now to answer the main question of this post. What does it take to be successful? Whatever your definition of success may be, this varies person to person. For example, for an athlete it may be winning trophies and awards, for an entrepreneur it may be the success of their product or service and for parents it may be the success of their parenting. Of course, you can have a combination of these things, but all successful people have 10 common traits.
1. They Set GOALS - Successful people know exactly what they want
2. Accountability - When things don't go to plan or well, they don't blame anyone else, but they know it was down to them.
3. Discipline - Discipline. Discipline can be learnt. It's the ability to pick yourself up and work for what you want when there is nobody else to push you.
4. Upskill - They are content but are always willing to learn more, they continuously work on themselves in all areas of their life. They love this part the most and understand the importance of this.
5.They value solitude - unlike most people, they will enjoy every moment they get to be with themselves. They love to read and will use this reading time.
6. Time Management - they're excellent at time management. They realise that it's not about hard work but smart work.
7. They take RISKS - For successful people nothing is more frustrating than not taking that risk in the first place.
8. They never quit! - They flourish out of setbacks. In fact, they keep seeking these because they know there is a lesson to be learnt.
9. They find a WAY - The simple saying of 'Where there is a will, there is a way.'
10. They do what they love! - Doing what you love is the most important thing at the end of it alll
Essentially, the reason we held this Masterclass is because we wanted to help people get into the right mindset and help them set their goals the right way. The first hurdle to success is knowing what you want. Most people think they know what they want and the reason why they don't achieve what they want is because of lack of motivation or procrastination. However, I'm here to tell you that motivation is a side product of knowing what you want. If you aren't feeling motivated and pumped to get up and do what you need to, it's not because you are lazy but because you don't know what you want clearly. The vision needs to be clear.
Most people think, setting goals is just picking up a notebook and writing down your priorities, usually this is attempted at the beginning of each calendar year. However, goal setting is what Jagunath and I believe is much more than that. It is a skill to be mastered and we wanted to use our time in this pandemic effectively and share our knowledge with the wider community.
By no means do we believe that we are at our optimum of success, but we wanted to use our platforms and reach to uplift and empower people with us and to grow together.
After the success of this event, we hope to be able to offer this to many more people in the future.
Remember the key to success is knowing what you want clearly! Create your own definiton of success and follow it through. Feel free to reach out to me and Jagunath if you would like more clarity and would like to book in a 1-2-1 session with either one of us.