May is South Asian Heritage Month, recognizing and celebrating of the history and impact the community has made in Ontario. In honour of the occasion, Museums of Mississauga and Apsaras have collaborated to make a tribute to Ceylon culture, food and teas for the first time by hosting the Ceylon Tea Room on May 29th.
If you haven’t heard of it yet, here are our Top 5 reasons to attend the Ceylon Tea Room:
1. Pure. Ceylon. Tea. It’s the delicious, authentic f tea that moms demand relatives bring whenever they visit from Sri Lanka. Pure Ceylon tea is grown, harvested and made in the tropical island of Sri Lanka in many of its luscious tea growing regions. Oh and did you know that tea is the second most consumed beverage in the world after water? At the Ceylon Tea Room, three famous teas will be served with traditional Ceylon dishes: the renowned Ceylon black tea, Jasmine Green tea and Ceylon Chai tea, each paired with a delicious traditional Sri Lankan dish.
2. Good art. While drinking tea can be an art on its own, it can only be better when enjoyed with the rich classical art of Bharathanatya. The Apsaras, a contemporary Bharathanatya performance group will take you on a journey with three dance works fitting to the theme of the event. Plus, local artist, Arthi Srivarapathy’s paintings will also be exhibited.
3. High tea outdoors. Bask in the beauty of spring with a fine afternoon outdoors. Your tea and food will be served in the fresh outdoors by the Benares Historic House, set in a beautiful park.
4. Savour the food. The three course tea also comes with three delicious traditional entrées featuring favourites like cutlets and roti as well as yummy Lavaria drizzled with palm sugar syrup. Need I say more?
5. Tour the Benares Historic House. Tucked away in Southern Mississauga, the Benares Historic House is a hidden gem that will take you back to 100 years ago. The estate was home to four generations of the Harris and Sayers families and is filled with original antique possessions of the families. Take a tour of the house and relive the stories of its owners.
Last but not least, the secret to all great moments is good company, so be sure to share this with whoever you would like to bring.
Seating is limited so get your tickets today by calling 416 557 1004 or purchasing them online.