1. You arrive two hours late to a party and find out you are the first to arrive.
2. You put your jewelry in a biscuit tin.
3. You were the only kid who took a three course meal of pittu, fried egg and banana to school.
4. You accidentally walked into an oor picnic and walked out with ten large trophies.
5. You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone’s house.
6. The second your guests leave the house, your parents start talking about them.
7. You go to a Tamil cultural program only to find one bharathanatyam and six hip hop dance performances.
8. You think wearing a bulletproof vest is normal attire for a dinner & dance.
9. You are somehow related to every new Tamil friend you meet.
10. Your remote control is still in its plastic packet.
11. Your parents’ idea of a vacation is to go down to the temple in Pittsburgh.
12. You get 95% on a test and your parents ask what happened to the other 5%.
13. Your parents never address each other by name.
14. Your mom has a minor dispute with her sister-in law and doesn’t talk to her for 10 years.
15. You go to a party and your aunt comments on how your skin colour has changed.
16. You have token white and Chinese people as wedding guests, and they all sit at the same table.
17. When the supply teacher took attendance and there was a sudden pause, you put your hand up and said “here.”
18. You have relatives in 8 different countries.
19. Your parents drive halfway across the city to “Basic Foods” just to save a quarter off of toilet paper.
20. Your idea of a romantic night out is to eat mutton rolls while watching a Tamil movie in a rundown theatre.
21. You walk into another Tamil family’s house and discover they have the same furniture and dining set as yours.
22. You stare at other Tamil people when they walk by.
23. You have dinner at 10 pm.
24. You shortened your name to make it sound Anglo.
25. You can’t speak Tamil.