Maybe it’s just me, but why did winter this year seem exceptionally long and brutal? I know brown people can’t technically get pale, but I’m pastier than Casper the Ghost. I want my glow back!
So last weekend, as an official good-bye party for winter, I decided to call my girlfriends over for some delicious mimosas and to discuss some of our favourite homemade (and cheap) remedies. So here are some beauty tips, for both men and women, to get you ready for spring. Guys, feel free to try these tips at home too. Trust me, great skin is sexy!
While I recommend getting a professional facial done once or twice a year, it’s a good habit to treat yourself to a homemade facial at least once a month. It helps exfoliate your skin, remove dead skin, and allow your skin to hydrate.
1. Wash face with face wash, I use St. Ives Blemish and Blackhead Control Apricot Face Wash.
2. Mix 1 tsp of sugar and 2 tsp of honey and lather on to face. Gently circulating the mixture and exfoliating the skin.
3. Rinse the sugar mixture off of face.
5. Pat the face dry and apply a 100% pure clay mask to the face for about 10-15 min. Try Aveda deep cleansing herbal clay masque or visit your local LUSH store.
6. Wash it off, let your face air dry and apply a moisturizer
For those with extra dry skin, mash half an avocado and add one tablespoon of yogurt. Mix well, apply and leave on for 10 minutes.
I was also recommended drinking apple cider vinegar every morning. Mix two tbsp of cider in a glass of water. Studies have shown that apple cider restores your skin’s natural pH balance, so your skin can find it’s perfect balance between oily and dry. Plus, apple cider vinegar can help reduce red marks and blemishes, and soften skin.
Another tip for flawless skin is to drink water, lots of water, and then top it off with another glass of water.
Final tip– Do NOT forget the sunscreen! My favourite is Clinique’s Super City Block SPF 40.
And VOILA! You’re all ready to embrace spring with arms wide open, glowing skin and a fresh face.