Maha Sinnathamby is a highly successful businessman and property developer who currently resides in Brisbane, Australia. Originally from Malaysia, of Sri Lankan Tamil descent, he spent his childhood on a British-owned rubber estate, where his father worked for the plantation. Maha moved to Australia to study civil engineering, and after working in the field in South East Asia, returned to reside in Australia.
He takes to his Facebook page occasionally to answer professional and personal questions from followers to help them achieve their goals. The following is a post he published in December 2016:
“There is a common thread in many of your messages, which is, what are my main tips for success. So after being in business for over half a century, here are a few personal insights, although, I, myself, am still very much learning:
- Figure out what TRULY MAKES YOU HAPPY IN LIFE. I have had the honour of meeting some exceptionally successful businesspeople – millionaires and billionaires and some people who really are some of the most successful in their field. However, they are absolutely miserable. They are in loveless marriages, their children don’t talk to them, and they spend their Birthdays or special occasions such as Christmas by themselves. WHAT IS THE POINT OF SUCH AN EXISTENCE ? I have also seen some people who would have less than $100 in their bank account, and are constantly laughing and have amazing relationships with their loved ones. If there is one thing I ask of you, PLEASE FIND OUT WHAT YOU LOVE IN LIFE AND CHASE IT WITH ALL YOUR HEART. An abundance of money and status will never fill your soul with happiness if you don’t truly love what you do. Believe me, I have seen this over and over in my life.
- If you have people in your life that you care about, TELL THEM! Do not assume they know. To this day, I grab my kids, even in the middle of the office, and give them a big hug. You can have ONE TRILLION DOLLARS or ONE DOLLAR in the Bank, but you can NEVER EVER buy a second chance to tell someone you love them.
- Work really hard. I know many people look at me now, and must think it has come easy. It has not. It has come at a massive cost. Missing a lot of my children’s early years of growing up. Time away from my amazing wife. Going to the verge of bankruptcy three times. Constantly being ridiculed for having a vision (this still happens by the way). Despite this, I still turn up to work EVERY SINGLE DAY. Bottom line, you want something ? Work REALLY HARD.
- I love how technology and social media is changing the world. It has really made amazing things happen. In saying this, it will never replace hard work. There are so many people with amazing ideas out there. However, DO NOT expect to just meet an “ANGEL INVESTOR” to come and make your dreams a reality. It really worries me that this is the business plan for so many people. They are expecting to go on the likes of SHARK TANK or meet a wealthy businessperson to do all the heavy lifting or be their Miracle Saviour. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Chances are, it did not happen for that businessperson, and that made them who they are today, so please do not expect it to happen to you.
- NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM. I come from a beautiful part of the world, called Rantau, in Malaysia. It is a small village, and I could not be prouder of my origins. I love the people and the values it instilled in me. I try and go back there whenever I can.
- TREAT MONEY WITH RESPECT – So many people are after more and more money, when what they should be doing is learning how to use the money they have in a wiser way. Easy for me to say ? Not really. I grew up in a house with dirt floors, studied under a kerosine lamp, worked four jobs while attending University, was a Door to Door Ruler Salesperson and have also worked as a Gravedigger when I was married with 3 kids after having graduated as a Civil Engineer from the University of New South Wales, and couldn’t get a job.
Friends, thank you again for your support, and have a truly MERRY CHRISTMAS and an amazing 2017.
STOP NOT TIL THE GOAL IS REACHED”
-Featured image is from Maha’s Facebook page.